Tuesday, December 9, 2008

From the Archives no. 1: Times Roman

This is the first of a new series of posts that are intended to call wider attention to various nuggets of information and opinion I come across during my many researches in archives. 

On December 18, 1949 Herbert Simpson, a printer (and amateur calligrapher), in Evansville, Indiana wrote to Paul A. Bennett, the longtime publicity manager for Mergenthaler Linotype, with an offer:

“I hereby give, will and bequeath to you all of my interest, concern, and future residue in Times Roman. I cannot admire its monotonous tone nor can I admit to any liking for the industrial thoroughness which appears to be responsible for the unyielding stiffness of the characters lining into words. I suspect that Morison has peered too long at a motley assembly of models ranging from the 16th century on and that subsequently the Monotype technicians absolutely ironed out all traces of character which is the prime ingredient to pleasant letters. The face has (I think) a foreign feeling to the English tongue.”

Hear! Hear!

No comments: